Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Accessories

“Before leaving the house, a lady should stop, look in the mirror, and remove one piece of jewelry.” -Coco Chanel
If it's anyone we should listen to, it's Coco freaking Chanel. The icon herself would be crying if she saw what some women are doing with accessories these days.
But, I must ask, is it entirely our fault?

We have the H&M's, the Laila Rowe's...even the (collective gasp) Claire's beckoning us with their "Buy two get one at half-off" and before you know it, you're walking out looking like a backup singer in a Cyndi Lauper video. What's a girl to do?


Are those clothes pins in her hair?


On the streets of New York, I have seen some pretty daring moves. This chick is Hello Kitty, meets Jenny from the Block meets an intervention waiting to happen. Two bows, really?
Born to be wild?
But this girl? I LOVE. I met her at Lids-yes the sports cap store (don't ask) and I asked if I could please take her picture because I was loving her glasses. Which is true. I do love them. In a perverse can't-peel-my-eyes-away kind of way. And in case you're wondering, that IS an Oscar the Grouch baseball hat. Amazeballs.


These aint your grandma's chain glasses.
I guess I shouldn't throw stones, as I too, have gotten caught up in the an accessories flurry every now and again. Here I am in London covering the Royal Wedding in April for TLC. Should I have lost the scarf? Is the necklace and the (Chanel!) pin too much? Perhaps. 
Feeling sunny for Wills and Kate
But it could have been worse that day...
Holy shit
If you are really into cool finds and your budget may allow for a little more- check out J. Crew or baubles on this shopping link from New York Magazine.
http://nymag.com/shopping/features/48925/

But my favorite Chanel quote has little to do with pearls, diamonds or pins. Because ladies, it's all in how you wear it. Attitude. (But please do take one piece off...)

"You live but once; you might as well be amusing." 

No comments: